Portugal: Under the Alentejan Sun
Friendly people, beautiful countryside, and delicious food and wine…. The Alentejo region of southern Portugal has everything that those famous areas in Europe haveexcept the crowds.
- Tasquinha d'Oliveira Rua Cândida dos Reis 45-A, Évora, 011-351/266-744-841, petiscos from $7
- Trinca Espinhas Sines, 011-351/269-636-379, entrées from $24
- Café Central Brejão, 011-351/282-947-419, rice dish from $34
- Herdade do Esporão Apartado 31, Reguengos de Monsaraz, 011-351/266-509-280, esporao.com, tour and tasting $5
- Alentejotrails Mourão, 011-351/963-446-904, alentejotrails.com, tours from $10
- Sempre Noiva Rua Alexandre Herculano 33, Arraiolos, 011-351/266-490-040
- Mizette Rua dos Celeiros, Monsaraz, 011-351/266-557-159, blankets from $60
- Speram'entrando Rua das Flores 9, Zambujeira do Mar
Across the Alentejo
Most towns in the Alentejo are less than three hours from Lisbon by car. Take A12 south over the Vasco da Gama Bridge and follow the signs to A2 if you're heading south to Sines, or A6 to Évora. Regional maps are available in the tourism offices of virtually every town in the Alentejo. In February, a compact car with manual transmission costs less than $300 per week with basic insurance; an automatic is $575 per week (888/223-5555, autoeurope.com).
Get with more from BudgetTravel.com
Budget Travel Real Deals